Reed's 52 Saves Backstop Harvard To 4-1 Win Over Boston College
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – The Harvard women's hockey team (8-11-3) punched its ticket to the Beanpot title game with a 4-1 win over No. 7/7 Boston College (19-10-0) on Tuesday night at the Bright-Landry Hockey Center. The Crimson leads all tournament teams with 29 championship appearances and will be playing for its 15th crown next Tuesday, Feb. 12 at 8 p.m. against No. 8/8 Boston University. Additionally, Harvard snapped a five-game losing streak against the Eagles, having last beaten them in the 2015 Beanpot final, also at Harvard.
Lindsay Reed played like an absolute machine, making 52 saves, which marks the most by a Harvard goalie since Nov. 2016. On offense, Brooke Jovanovich led the pack with two goals and an assist while six other teammates put themselves on the scoresheet, including Dominique Petrie who also had a three-point outing that extended her point streak to three games.
Boston College struck first in the final minute of the opening period on a quick deflection out front from Makenna Newkirk. That would be the last heard from the Eagles, as Harvard scored four unanswered goals in the final 40 minutes. Brooke Jovanovich lit the lamp for the second time in three games at 8:10 of the second, scoring five-hole on a breakaway from mid-ice. Dominique Petrie would put the Crimson ahead before the end of the second, netting a wrister from the slot at 13:44.
Laing made a shattering statement in the third when she scored five-hole, nine seconds in from the bottom right circle. Near the close of the game, Jovanovich ripped her second of the night, adding insurance to the score off a Petrie/Gilmore rebound.
Harvard is set to face No. 8/8 Boston University in the Beanpot Championship game next Tuesday, Feb. 12 at 8 p.m. Both the consolation and championship games will be broadcast on ESPN+ and NESNPlus. Harvard will be making its 29th appearance in the title game and will be vying for its 15th title, 12th under head coach Katey Stone.
- Harvard will make an appearance in the Beanpot final for the 29th time in program history and the first time since 2015.
- The Crimson snapped a five-game losing streak against the Eagles, having last beaten them in the 2015 Beanpot final.
- Harvard defeated a ranked team for the first time this season and the first time since Feb. 2018.
- Harvard's third line of Brooke Jovanovich, Dominique Petrie and Becca Gilmore tallied eight points on three goals and three assists.
- Lindsay Reed made 52 saves in net, a career-high and the most from a Harvard goalie since Nov. 2016.
- Dominique Petrie is now on a three-game point streak, posting a stat line of 2-4-6 in her last three outings.
- Seven different players marked the scoresheet, including three with multi-point efforts.
- Kristin Della Rovere led the Crimson with six shots on target.
- Dominique Petrie and Becca Gilmore both finished with plus-three ratings.
Harvard will return to its regular ECAC Hockey weekend schedule on Friday, Feb. 8 at Union. Puck drop is set for 6 p.m.