Murphy's Three Points Lead Northeastern Past Boston University In Women's Beanpot Opener, 4-1
CHESNUT HILL, Mass. – Powered by a three-point performance from graduate student Maureen Murphy, the No. 5 Northeastern women's hockey team took down Boston University in the Beanpot semifinals on Tuesday evening at Conte Forum, 4-1. The Huskies advance to the Beanpot Championship game next Tuesday, Feb. 14 at 7:30 p.m. against the winner of the Harvard vs. Boston College matchup.
- The Huskies got on the board first at 7:32 in the first period after a goal from Murphy. The assist went to graduate student Chloé Aurard, who took a pass from Murphy and broke free before sliding it back across the crease for the finish. Northeastern took the 1-0 lead into the first intermission.
- At 2:01 in the second period, the Terriers got the equalizer to make it 1-1.
- Just under two minutes later, the Huskies responded to regain the lead 2-1. Murphy found the back of the net for the second time, assisted by Aurard and graduate student Alina Mueller.
- At the 5:48 mark in the third period, Mueller zipped a wrist shot past the stick side goalie to extend the Huskies lead to 3-1. Murphy was credited with the assist.
- With just 0.7 seconds remaining, sophomore Taze Thompson put a cap on the game with an empty net goal. The assists were to freshman Lily Shannon and sophomore Tory Mariano.
The Huskies will be back an action when they travel to UConn on Friday, Feb. 10 at 6 p.m., before returning to Conte Forum on Feb. 14, for the Beanpot final.